Feb 5, 2010

Superbowl Predictions

What's everybody doing this weekend? I know what I'm doing...there's a football game I want to watch Sunday. You guys should check it out.

For those of you who don't know, Dave and I live in the Richmond Virginia area and we are getting pummeled with snow and have been for the past couple weeks...I guess global warming is on vacation. So actually I don't really have a choice...I will be snowed in for the next 3-4 days, essentially forced to drink beer, eat snacks and watch the super bowl. Woe is me!

I'm not going to lie, I am expecting great things from this game. Super bowl 44 better be the all-time greatest event ever captured on film because dammit, I can't do anything else except watch it. XLIV better entertain me for 4 hours, take me out for a steak dinner, pay the bill, drive me home and give me a kiss goodnight or I will be pissed and stop returning its phone calls. Realistically, it has the capacity to be the best super bowl in history...the story lines just don't get any better than the ones associated with this game. And as a side note, since when do both #1 seeds make it in? That's just crazy talk...what's it been, 20 years? My concern is XLIV won't live up to XLIII. How could it? Last year's super bowl was the most exciting super bowl I've seen since Scott Norwood was popular in Buffalo. You know what's fun? Walking into a Buffalo sports bar during football season and yelling "Wide Right!" And when the stereotypical angry Bills fan approaches you looking for a fight, punch the guy right beside him.

But it's the super bowl so it'll be exciting no matter what! I guess I just need to be optimistic here...I think the snow is depressing me.

Here's what's going to happen: Before each play, Peyton Manning will do his interpretation of the stanky leg at the line of scrimmage behind Jeff Saturday for about 10 seconds and then proceed to pick apart the Saints defense. Their 26th-ranked passing defense is giving up 235 yards per game and Peyton is passing for 282 per. You do the math. However, I look for the running game to be used more than usual. You might have not noticed, but Peyton isn't quite as effective playing outside. Not to mention, I'm sure the Saints' secondary will be playing prevent the entire game...so why not?

I'm fully aware of how explosive the Saints offense is...but if that's the case, then the Colts created the bomb. What they did to my beloved Dolphins in the 4th quarter of week 2 is a perfect example. I'm pretty sure Peyton Manning had the ball all of 15 minutes that game...but that was all he needed.

Half the Colts roster has been on this stage before, they're going to come in prepared, confident, and unshaken by the hype and pressure of playing in the most-watched sporting event in television history. Add in a great offensive line (ranked #1 in the NFL; allowed 13 sacks) protecting the best decision maker in the game...things get pretty scary for an already-suspect Saints defense. There's no other possible outcome than the Colts topping the Saints by 14. I think the smartest bet to make Sunday is taking the Colts -6.5ish. Well, that and taking the 'heads' bet on the coin toss. Seriously, I'm going to give this one a shot this year.
Colts 35
Saints 21


And now...here's Dave to tell you why I'm wrong:

No comments:

Post a Comment