Mar 30, 2010

The WTF Four Preview 2010

If you had gone into a coma 2 weeks ago and saw who was playing in the Final Four before the 2010 NCAA Tournament started, I'd be forced to wait for you to come out of another coma. Quick recap: Kansas didn't make the Sweet 16, Butler dominated the top 2 teams in the Midwest Region, the Terps-Spartans clash had the most exciting 20 seconds to finish off a tournament game since Arizona and Gonzaga played a classic in 2002, we saw a world record number of "upsets", ESPN used the word "parody" an inornate number of times and did I mention that Northern Iowa defeated Kansas in Round 2? Northern Iowa beat Kansas in Round 2, I repeat, Northern Iowa defeated Kansas in Round 2, and now I will use my couch as a hat and go to the mall. Lets face it, this is the biggest upset since Villanova over G'town in the 1985 NCAA championship game. I know that a 15 seed has beaten a 2 seed, but this is way wilder. Kansas was a complete juggernaut and a team from the Missouri Valley Conference knocked them out. If you haven't guessed yet, I .bet heavy on Kansas to win it all and I still can't believe they lost. I need to move on before I try my potent poison that's in my fridge for this occasion.

Our Final Four for this year consists of 2 number 5 seeds in one matchup, and a more conventional number 1 vs a number 2 in the other game. Game one features Butler vs Michigan State. This is where the coma comes into play, Butler is actually playing for a chance to go to the Championship game. I'm not kidding! Look it up if you don't believe me! Game two is a more conventional ACC Champion Duke vs Big East Tournament Champion West Virginia. For the record, I hate Duke, I'm not alone here, I wish my buddy Rich Corcoran were here to ram this point home for me.

Let's break down this first matchup: Butler vs Michigan State, Butler's road was much more difficult than anyone else's by far in the WTF Four. They defeated UTEP(my first round pick), Murray State, Syracuse and Kansas State. This may shock you, but Murray State gave Butler the hardest game of the four, that might be the most shocking of all the stats so far. Michigan State had to run through New Mexico State, Maryland, Northern Iowa and Tennessee. None of those teams are too impressive, but Michigan State manhandled all of these teams(a great trait for any Final Four team.) Butler is a favorite in this game to advance to the National Championship game. Does anyone else find this insane? Could you imagine if Boise State was a favorite against Alabama in this past year's championship game? That seems ridiculous yes? Also, Butler seems to thrive in larger staged games and they are playing at home. I think the facts point to Michigan State to win this game though, better coaching and last year's team made the championship game. I'd take Tom to the Izzo if I had to pick a winner, not that I'll be betting on anyone.

Thirty minutes after our first Final Four game, we get to watch Duke play West Virginia. What a treat it is to watch Duke's mascot fire up the crowd AND coach the Blue Devils. I do not like Coach K, I'm sorry for the bias(that's not true, I really don't like Duke). I like Bob Huggins, he's all business all the time. He always makes sideline reporters uncomfortable and has Jimmy Johnson quality hair. Plus he loves the state of West Virginia(the media is shocked by this for some reason.) Duke is the favorite here and the favorite to win it all. I have a feeling if the Devils win the championship, it would be the first time there would be rioting out of hatred for a team, instead of a celebration, just a hunch there. I personally like West Virginia(shocking!) because of the fact that they always play better in the second half of games. Ask Kentucky, they saw it first hand, although they might shoot a 3 pointer that obviously wouldnt go in and hit you in the face. Scratch that thought.

The only thing leftover to say is that this is the best tournament I can remember watching in years. Although I'm pretty sure that, just like in 2006, when George Mason unbelievably went to the FInal Four, and 2002 when talentless Maryland defeated the Indiana Non-Bob Knights. I think the quality of the games has been off the charts but the quality of the teams is a 2 on a 1-10 scale. Either way, I'm rooting for more underdogs, although I'm not so sure that anyone is considered one anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment