May 15, 2010

Chuck's Eastern Conference Preview:

If you asked me in November who was going to take down the NBA championship this season I would have thought for about a millisecond before answering "Bron Bron annem!" My roommate Seth had me completely sold on all the hype that was Cleveland basketball. And honestly, I'm pretty sure 90% of Americans who don't live in Orlando, LA, or Boston thought the Cavs had it in the bag, too. I remember growing up idolizing Michael Jordan (sound familiar?). After the Bulls won 72 games in 95-96, I remember thinking: do they even have to play anymore? Can Dave Stern just give them the trophy now? That year, having the Bulls in the same league as everybody else just wasn't even fair. It may have been a diluted NBA, or vastly superior talent in Chicago, or a combination of both, either way you just knew the Bulls were winning that year.

That was supposed to be the Cavs this year.

But since they didn't...believe it or not, life goes on America! Yes, they actually let them keep playing until someone else wins! I swear, since they lost game 6 in Boston I've heard the words "LeBron James" at least 500 times and it drives me nuts. So since the Cavs aren't even in the equation at this point, how about everyone stop talking about them. Including me...

Back on track now...let's talk about the Boston-Orlando series.

I'm just going to come right out and say it: the Magic are winning this series. At gun point I would say they're winning at home in game 5, but if not, I wouldn't be surprised if they take it in 6 at Boston due to the C's home court disadvantage. Bottom line - Dwight Howard is unstoppable. Yes, he has the range of Stevie Wonder at a shooting range but his size and strength are what makes him so valuable. There are only a handful of guys in the world that can stop him around the basket and none of them play for the Celtics. Glen Davis? I'm pretty sure Big Baby will show the world he is appropriately named after Superman stuffs a basketball down his throat. No metaphors here, just picture that, because it very well could happen. Double team him? Triple team him? That's not a good idea either because of the sharp shooters on the perimeter. Nelson, Lewis, and Pietrus have all been playing outstanding ball lately. It seems like when they're called on, they make their shots. Period. 40%, 46%, and 51% respectively from behind the arc in the postseason...that's called putting on a clinic. Not bad considering they're all secondary scoring options to Howard. Throw in Vince Carter and all of a sudden you have the recipe for a championship.

All that being said, I'm actually rooting for the Celtics. How can you not like Ray Allen? I'm a big fan of Rondo, too...could have done without Rasheed Wallace hopping on board but what the hell, I guess he figured if he can't beat 'em, join 'em. The C's are a good shooting team too. So in that regard, they match up well with the Magic's G/F skill set. And I love Rondo's spark he gives to the rest of his team. But with all that being said, I truly feel like the Magic are singing "anything you can do I can do better" in front of the Celtics at lunchtime on the playground while jumping rope and playing hopscotch. You got Rondo we got Jameer Nelson...Nah nah na nah nahh! The one thing the Celtics have is experience winning a championship. Unfortunately, you can't put a jersey on something like that. And even if you could, Dwight Howard would still posterize his ass!

Magic for all the dough baby. Lock it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment